2/20 Southern Cal

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Mon Feb 22 13:54:24 EST 1999

Well, after four successive weekend excursions with no activity, I have the
following report from the East Fork of the San Gabriel River, just north of
Los Angeles, CA:

20February99

Mostly sunny, with a high near 75F (24C).  At elevation, above 4000 ft.
(1200m).
Area was under snow as recent as 4 weeks ago.

11:00 a.m.

Papilio Rutulus (Western Tiger Swallowtail) - 2
Pieris rapae (Cabbage White) early spring variety - 2
Colias eurydice (California Dogface) male and female - 6
Callophrys [Incisalia] augustinus (Brown Elfin) - 1
Celastrina ladon echo (Spring Azure) - 8
Boloria epithore (Western Meadow Fritillary) - 3
Nymphalis antiopa (Mourning Cloak) - 4

I couldn't positively id the fritts, whose presence surprised me a little
bit.

All in all, there were surprisingly many butterflies on the wing.  I was
only in the area investigating for about 40 minutes.  I suppose the list
could have easily been longer, had I stayed in the area.  A year ago at this
time in Vermont, I was shoveling snow...

Mark Walker
Mission Viejo, CA