Practical Chemical Information Sought

Neil Jones Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 28 14:49:46 EST 1999

In article <36D75C1F.1961 at concentric.net>
           paulcher at CONCENTRIC.NET "Paul Cherubini" writes:

> priamus at ace-net.com.au wrote:
>
> > However, I have a situation/application which prevents me from using a
> > solid form of either of the foregoing and it has been suggested that
> > "painting" the abdomens with either of these products or another
> > suitable solution, would achieve my goal.
>
> I havn't heard of this method.
>
> Another chemical method that has hardly any odor compared to the
> napthalene/paradichlorobenzene products is to buy a Vapona (dichlorvos
>  insecticide) no
> pest resin strip from a local hardware, supermarket or variety store for about
>  $6.00. The
> strips slowly release a dichlorvos vapor that is lethal to insects, but not
>  harmful to warm
> blooded animals if not abused.

This subject has come up before and I disagree. The insectiside is
an Acetycholine-esterase inhibitor. This means that it poisons a nerve
transmitter. The effects of exposure can be clinical depression or other
mental symptoms. It is, of course,a matter of personal choice but I would
prefer not to have such substances in my living or working environment.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog