Practical Chemical Information Sought

Paul Cherubini paulcher at concentric.net
Fri Feb 26 21:44:47 EST 1999

priamus at ace-net.com.au wrote:

> However, I have a situation/application which prevents me from using a
> solid form of either of the foregoing and it has been suggested that
> "painting" the abdomens with either of these products or another
> suitable solution, would achieve my goal.

I havn't heard of this method.

Another chemical method that has hardly any odor compared to the
napthalene/paradichlorobenzene products is to buy a Vapona (dichlorvos insecticide) no
pest resin strip from a local hardware, supermarket or variety store for about $6.00. The
strips slowly release a dichlorvos vapor that is lethal to insects, but not harmful to warm
blooded animals if not abused. Cut the strip into little pieces and place a little piece in each
collection box. This method only works if the specimens are held in an enclosed space
such as a collection box. The pieces need to be changed about every 6 months.

Paul Cherubini, El Dorado, California