Banana Waspmoth

DR. JAMES ADAMS jadams at Carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Sun Feb 28 19:41:30 EST 1999

(accidentally sent to me and not the list)

Dear listers,

> >Can anyone provide the name for and possibly point to any images available
> >of the little dark Syntomid moth with the dark metalic green HW bases that
> >regularly shows up on imported bananas here the the frigid north ?
>
> I think there's more than one, and they're in the genus Antichloris. The
> name "syntomid" is archaic, incidentally. They're Arctiids, subfamily
> Ctenuchinae.

Doug's correct, there is more than one, some in the genus
Antichloris, some not.  I just recently had a student bring me one
from his house.  After telling me he had found it on his kitchen
counter, I asked him to go home and bring me the pupa off the most
recent bunch of bananas he'd bought.  Next day I had the pupal case.

As for the one you are interested in, you'll have to give a more
detailed description to allow appropriate placement to species.

              James

Dr. James K. Adams
Dept. of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College
213 N. College Drive
Dalton, GA  30720
Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
U of Michigan's President James Angell's
  Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"