Suggestions for a camera for taking butterfly photos

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Sun Feb 28 21:16:29 EST 1999

	This is ancient technology now--but I have been using an internal-
focusing 200mm macro lens (Nikkor) on a Nikkormat body for many years,
along with an extension tube that changes the focusing range so that the
images run from about 0.3X to 1X on the film. This is not a light rig,
so I use a pistol grip with it. I use ambient light rather than flash,
so a 200 ASA film is required for handheld shots.

	The internal-focusing lens has one advantage: it does not lose
as much light intensity when focused on a nearby object as would a standard
macro lens.

	The results are not as crisp as flash shots--but they preserve
information about the orientation of the butterfly with respect to the sun.

							Ken Philip
fnkwp at uaf.edu