Noctua pronuba in USA

NJMoth at the.light NJMoth at the.light
Thu Jan 14 19:32:58 EST 1999

with questions about this species: It is an introduced Old World
(Palearctic) species, which was purportedly first introduced in Canada
about 1994 or so, and has since been spreading throughout Eastern
North America. In the US, it has been recorded from most of the
Eastern Seaboard through New England, New York, New Jersey (I hold the
first record of this species from NJ; it is now common here) and south
to at least Delaware, and west to at least Pennsylvania and Ohio. This
species is spreading at an incredibly fast rate, and unfortunately has
pest potential; in Britain and other parts of Europe it is a pest on
cultivated vegetable crops. It is also a prolific breeder and rather
"aggressive" as evidenced by its rapid dispersal and colonization, and
therefore I am concerned may threaten the stability of native species'
populations. Further information and photos will be posted on my site,
when that becomes ready for public viewing. No American/Canadian
literature that I am aware of concerning Noctuidae or moths in general
treats this species; it is too new of a phenomenon.