Vanessa atalanta update

Runar Krogen rkrogen at online.no
Tue Jul 6 13:36:37 EDT 1999

Hi

I have seen 3 specimens Vanessa atalanta around Trondheim, Norway. The
first observation was done on June 10, while I saw the last one so far on
June 26. The species does not migrate this far north every year, but I have
observed it during most seasons in the 90-ties. I have not observed Vanessa
cardui this season. Caterpillars of Aglais urticae have been seen in large
numbers on Urtica dioica since mid May. The adults should appear soon.
Polygonia c-album was locally rather common in April and May after
hibernation.

I was on a trip to Italy between June 10 and june 24. Some fresh Vanessa
atalanta was seen at lower altitude around Rome, but not common, and not at
all in the mountains. Caterpillars in different stages were found both at
lower and higher ground. Vanessa cardui were seen in scattered specimens.
Locally was Nymphalis polychloros common in fresh specimens, Polygonia
c-album f. hutchinsoni (both fresh and worn), P. egea (mostly in center of
Rome) and
Apatura ilia (very local).

Runar Krogen
Buvika, Norway