Southern Arizona Mothing

BMW60 bmw60 at aol.com
Wed Jul 14 16:41:12 EDT 1999

13 July 99,  We did the Box Canyon thing in the Santa Rita Mountains last
night.  Thunderstorms loomed in the distance all night, but we only received
light sprinkles continuously.  It early in the season but someone forgot to
tell the Sphinx Moths.  We noted the following, most in large numbers;
Qiunquemaculata
Sexta
Floristan
Muscosa
Occidentalis
Achemon
solicetti
falco
Lineatta
Dolii
Rustica
The Saturnids made a showing too,  but in not so great numbers.
Citheronea splendons
Sphingicampa hubardii
Antherea oculea
Automeris pamina
oslari-Cant remember the genus though its the Arizona Imperial
We did manage to take Sphingicampa raspa at Copper Canyon 3 days earlier.
All in all, a little slow for monsoon collecting but it is still a little
early.  Next stop, Automeris randa, I hope.  Any question to Bill at BMW60