problems with pupae at the airport?

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Thu Jul 29 17:52:26 EDT 1999

I second John Shuey's comments on the importation or "smuggling" of
livestock into the US.  I think he put it very well.  It's essy to
rationalize that some creature will end up benign and attractive, or
dead in a collection, but it's illegal and a bad idea.  If people need
convincing, I recommend the chapters on Animals and Plants in Edward
Tenner's compelling book "Why Things Bite Back" subtitle "Technology and
the Revenge of Unintended Consequences". (Vintage Books/Random House;
1997).

It's ironic that some of the most successful exotics were deliberate
introductions: Starlings, Kudzu, Tamarisk, etc.