Ask and ye shall recieve!

John Acorn janature at compusmart.ab.ca
Mon Jun 7 17:33:47 EDT 1999

Lepidopterophiles,

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed Roger Kendrick's contribution, and his
thoughtful responses to my points.

Two things occurred to me while reading it.

First, I'd sort of like to believe that it is the neophytes on the list who
are the most stubborn and aggressive, but I doubt that this is true.  Let's
not let those who should know better get away with unruly behaviour!

Second, should we really accept that birders have had longer to get their
names straightened out and that this too will come to us with time?  I don't
fully agree.  With respect to field guides, and amature interest, if we are
behind the birders at all, it is only by a few decades, and they have had
their AOU list for a few decades already.  The fastest way to catch up to
the British and the Birders is to start right now, and get on the proper
track.

And I do think that it is worth distinguishing between the butterfly
situation and the moth situation.  With so much more moth diversity, it
would be unreasonable to expect the same standards to apply to moths and
butterflies both.  English names for moths are fun, but it would also be a
huge task if anyone ever tried to standardize them.

John Acorn