What's in a name

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 8 18:55:28 EDT 1999

At the risk of digressing too far from Leps---but keeping with the
thread on systematics, allow me to illustrate with the following about
the importance of systematics which biomedical professionals overlook.

Some time ago a very distinguished hepatotoxicologist gave a profound
and stimulating lecture at our university.  He ended it with the typical
academic mantra----"More research is needed".  Which he illustrated with
the following slide, illustrating the "chaos in our knowledge about
susceptibility of the liver to toxic chemicals".

Species which are susceptible to the hepatic effects of carbon
tetrachloride.
Human yes
Chicken  No
Duck  No
Mouse  yes
Rat    yes
Turtle  No
Trout   No
Leopard Frog  No
Rabbit   Yes
Dog      Yes

He concluded that about half of species are susceptible and half are
resistant and there was no pattern.