English Names

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 8 11:45:21 EDT 1999

>Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 10:38:42 -0500
>To: Boydtd at aol.com
>From: "Chris J. Durden" <drdn at mail.utexas.edu>
>Subject: Re: English Names
>
>At 05:43  8/06/99 EDT, you wrote:
>>Dear Chris,
>>
>>Of course I agree with what you said on this subject, but as some species
are
>>holarctic ie found in bot the old and new worlds, it would be logical and
>>helpful if they carried the same English name in both worlds.
>-------
>  Yes I agree, but I was born there. The birders try to do this.
>-------
> This need not
>>be too rigorously enforced as we in the British Isles sometimes have more
>>than one name in current usage for the same species eg The Gatekeeper alias
>>Hedge Brown (Pyronia tithonus), and this doesn't seem to cause problems.
>------
>  This what I mean by permissible regional names or usage.
>------
>>doubt if we would ever change Camberwell Beauty for Mourning Cloak
(Nymphalis
>>antiopa) even though the latter is the more descriptive name.
>-------
>  MORIO and TRAUERMANTEL should also be acceptable regional usage among
those of French or German home language.
>-------
>  Then there is
>>the Monarch or Milkweed butterfly (Danaus plexippus),
>-------
>  BLACK-VEINED BROWN of Frohawk, and STORM FRITILLARY of d'Urban. I
personally prefer the latter.
>-------
> the Chequered Skipper
>>or Arctic Skipper (Carterocephalus palaemon),
>-------
>  We have a COMMON CHECKERED SKIPPER usually listed as CHECKERED SKIPPER
*Syrichtus communis*. Our ARCTIC SKIPPER is more of an HUDSONIAN SKIPPER or
MUSKEG SKIPPER *Carterocephalus palaeomon mandan*. This one should be
negotiable. MUSKEG CHEQUERED/CHECKERED SKIPPER sounds fine to me.
>-------
> the Holly Blue or Azure Blue
>>(Celastrina argiolus)
>-------
>  Not applicable because none of our species of *Celastrina* seem to be
conspecific with the HOLLY BLUE. The AZURE BLUE is *C. ladon*.
>-------
>etc. etc.  What is more confusing is when scientific
>>names do not agree.  Are tortoiseshells in the genus Aglais or Nymphalis
- it
>>seems to depend on which side of the Atlantic you are.
>-------
>  Genitalia of MILBERT's TORTOISESHELL (Nymphalis milberti) are much
closer to those of (Nymphalis polychloros) than to those of the SMALL
TORTOISESHELL *Aglais urticae*. To my eye they look generically different.