Names . . .

DR. JAMES ADAMS jadams at Carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Wed Jun 9 14:57:14 EDT 1999

Dear listers,

Then John Grehan wrote:

> But not all members of the English speaking world are making
> the demand for common name usage.

Of course not.  This was even the point I was trying to make.  You
know how when you are writing something off the top of your head, you
don't always catch yourself when you make blanket statements.  I
clearly should have said that there is a much larger percentage (at
least it seems so to me -- no, I don't have any data) of
English-speakers promoting/demanding use of common names.  John, I,
too, am *not* among them.  As far as I'm concerned, it is a shame
that the scientific name is not used in all cases as the common name.
One set of names (instead of two) would really make this discussion
trivial.

              James

Dr. James K. Adams
Dept. of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College
213 N. College Drive
Dalton, GA  30720
Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
U of Michigan's President James Angell's
  Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"