Aglais

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 9 13:17:31 EDT 1999

  Oh no! This can't be. I thought Hemming had checked all the classical
names twice, and then Cowan had gone over the corrections and corrected them.
  You may be right, because they missed Klug's early publication (that
Paclt found) on the genus *Heliconius*, *Plebeius* and others. This makes
Cuvier's use of the family group name Plebei valid, and potentially obliges
a switch from Lycaenidae to Plebeidae, if we apply priority to family group
names. *Pieris* as a plant and a butterfly is currently ok, but *Aglais* as
a mollusc and a butterfly is not.
  What is the reference for mollusc *Aglais*? Let's clean this up and get
back in the field.
...........Chris Durden