Aglais

Doug Yanega dyanega at pop.ucr.edu
Fri Jun 11 02:24:21 EDT 1999

>Homonomy of genera does not apply across Orders, anymore than homonomy of
>species applies across Families.

Whoa, whoa - it most certainly *does*. I've named new genera, I know the
rules...the only place generic homonymy doesn't apply is across *kingdoms*.
You can have a plant and an animal with the same genus, but not two
animals. Oddly enough, non-generic names *can* be possessed at different
levels; for instance, there are genera of molluscs named "Collembola" and
"Ephemeroptera". No problems with those, amazingly.

Peace,

Doug Yanega       Dept. of Entomology           Entomology Research Museum
phone: (909) 787-4315
                http://insects.ucr.edu/staff/yanega.html