Aglais and stuff

Anne Kilmer viceroy at anu.ie
Fri Jun 11 02:54:22 EDT 1999

I'm going back to calling them all Fred. Especially the Small Heath,
Coenonympha pamphilus. Whom I have seen, but not this year and not here.
And speaking of allopatric, my search of Croagh Patrick and Murrisk
(part of it on my knees, but I did not reach the top and win a plenary
indulgence) resulted in three Green-Veined Whites (or one, which I saw
well, and its friends) Pieris napi.
Everything is in bloom (well, not the holly); elderberry, vetch, gorse,
fuchsia, camomile daisies, little daisies, buttercups, but there was No
Action.
Of course it was just before noon, and in this country the butterflies
sleep late, as do the people.
Brisk English reformers complained about that, but there's not much
point beginning haymaking when the grass is still dripping.
If the sun comes out I will go peruse the soggy gorse-filled bog next to
my house for Green Hairstreak, Callophrys rubi, as I have just received
a note from David Nash, Ireland's Millennium Count honcho, saying that
my patch of Ireland is unexplored. Or anyway unrecorded. Oh boy!
Holly Blue is also a possibility, I suppose, as we have both holly and
ivy. Celastrina argiolus. Perhaps double-brooded here ... it uses ivy
flowers in the fall as larval host.