variable checkerspot

Laurel Godley godley at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 11 17:21:32 EDT 1999

Sharyn,

I think what is being refered to here, is what you and I probably know as a
chalcedon checkerspot.  At least that is what the latin name given tells me.
  I have in fact heard them refered to as a variable checkerspots as well.

It seems about right too.  I've read that these are one of the most common
CA butterflies.  They were quite prominant here in San Jose, around May
15th.  Hardly any on May 31st when I was out to the same spot.  A couple
laid eggs and I can see from the size of the clusters why they would be
common.  1st instar caterpillars are pretty uninteresting though sompared to
the 4th instars I've seen.

A researcher at Stanford told me they are strictly one brooded and will go
into diapause as 3rd instar caterpillars.  This ought to be interesting!
I've never over wintered caterpillars before...

Anyway, I guess this is just one more tally why both common and latin names
are useful, eh?