Names don't have to mean a thing!

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Wed Jun 16 13:50:35 EDT 1999

What an awesome post!  It reads like something out of Dr. Seuss.  Before
finishing it, I began singing "The Name Game".

...Banana Fana Fo Fark...

...Me My Mo Mark...

Mark.

------------------

James Adams wrote:

John Acorn wrote:
> I wanted to add something that I think has been missed in this discussion.

> Names, scientific or not, do not have to mean a thing, etymologically.
They
> are simply words that correspond to species.  The Code even allows for
> random combinations of letters, and anagrams.

I think the best example of this is Kearfott's naming of a number of
tortricids (and others).  One simply needs to look at the Checklist
of the Lepidoptera North of Mexico (Hodges) and you will see that
Kearfott used several assemblages of letters over and over again,
simply changing the first letter.  For example, in the genus
Epinotia, are the valid species zandana and xandana, in Pelochrista
is vandana and randana, in Epiblema tandana, in Eucosma gandana,
handana, nandana,wandana, mandana, pandana and landana, and candana
in Cydia.  He does something similar with bobana, cocana, dodana,
fofana, momana, lolana, totana, and hohana in Eucosma, as well as
popana and rorana in Pelochrista, sosana in Epiblema, zozana in
Rhyacionia, and kokana in Phaneta.  He's described the valid species
tomonana, zomonana, womonana, momonana, and lomonana in
various genera, and raracana, daracana, baracana, naracana, haracana,
faracana, maracana, laracana, saracana in others.  The Cochylidae has
one of my favorites, the genus Hysterosia, which has two
groups named by Kearfott:  riscana, biscana, discana, viscana,
wiscana, and ziscana; and foxcana, toxcana, voxcana, and zoxcana.  It
also includes the species waracana, zaracana and another baracana, as
well as bomonana, romonana and nomonana.  Needless to say, a lot of
names *mean* nothing.  Again I will refer you to Doug Yanega's
website for an enjoyable read of some rather non-scientific
"scientific" names.

             James

Dr. James K. Adams
Dept. of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College
213 N. College Drive
Dalton, GA  30720
Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
U of Michigan's President James Angell's
  Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"