Names don't have to mean a thing!

Chris Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 17 18:26:33 EDT 1999

  Sometimes it is possible to have an anagram name mean something too
(although this is not at all necessary).

  *Dasyleptus lucasi* Brongniart, 1885 - "LUCAS' HAIRY LEAPER", "LUCAS'
DASYLEPTUS", "DASYLEPTIDE DE LUCAS"- a monuran archaeognath apterous insect
discovered at Commentry, France (earliest Permian) by M. Lucas.
  *Dasyleptus brongniarti* Sharov, 1957 - "BRONGNIART'S HAIRY LEAPER",
"BRONGNIART'S DASYLEPTUS", "DASYLEPTIDE DE BRONGNIART" - a monuran
archaeognath apterous insect described from Kuznetsk Basin (early Permian).
  *Lepidodasypus sharovi* Durden, 1978 - "SHAROV'S SCALY
ARMADILLO/HAIRY-FOOT", "SHAROV'S LEPIDODASYPUS", "LEPIDODASYPEDE DE SHAROV"
- a monuran archaeognath apterous insect discovered by Dunbar at Elmo,
Kansas (middle Permian).

  These insects have not been given vernacular names, and are never likely
to need them. Most paleontologists would dismiss them as juvenile shrimp.
The vernacular names listed here are derived by literal translation from
the scientific names. I would advocate this as usual practice - new common
names should be coined in this manner (if there is no vernacular name in
circulation among those who know the animal), rather than erecting a
parallel set of common names, linguistically unrelated to the scientific
names.
......Chris Durden