NOT the collecting debate :-)

DR. JAMES ADAMS JADAMS at em.daltonstate.edu
Mon Jun 21 21:48:06 EDT 1999

Listers,

Chris Durden wrote:
> Are amoebae wildlife?

Most certainly.  One reason why I hesitate to discuss the
collecting/not collecting debate on leps-l anymore is the hypocrisy
of the non-collecting argument.  Lines seem to be drawn arbitrarily -
- this (butterflies) shouldn't ever be collected, but who cares about
that (moths) . . . or that (mosquitos) . . . or that (roaches) . . . or
that (amoebae).  All are living things, and deserve respect and their
place in the world.  That doesn't mean you can't respect an
organism while at the same time want to study it (collect it,
*responsibly*) to learn more about it.  I've discussed what I think is
responsible more than once previously and will not go into it again.
You may think differently.  As far as I'm concerned, anyone who is
truly anti-collecting because of its consumptive nature needs to
realize that just by existing every single human being is
consumptive.  Driving a car, walking, eating, all result in killing
insects.  Okay, so stop driving, eat only organically grown food,
etc.  Still impossible to not kill insects.  And of course you could
make the logical extension to other organisms.  Any time you take
antibiotics, you are, of course, killing millions of organisms
("wildlife").  Needless to say, the lines are drawn for convenience,
and may be different for different people.

Chris also wrote:
>   By the way, is capture and release still permitted in South Florida, or
> will you get a ticket for carrying a net?

No tickets.  Any private land, assuming you get permission from
the owners, are still open to swinging a net.  So, too, are public
lands outside of the nature reserves, national parks, state parks,
and other protected areas.  You need to be certain, however, that
you know where these areas are.  This includes all of the Keys
currently, except, again, privately owned lands.  Kind of ironic when
you realize that the Keys are one of the areas of the world that are
most heavily sprayed for mosquitos (which, of course, kills all
kinds of insects each year, including leps).

         James

Dr. James K. Adams
Dept. of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College
213 N. College Drive
Dalton, GA  30720
Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
U of Michigan's President James Angell's
  Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"