"how butterflies are any different"

Mike Quinn mqnature at hiline.net
Tue Jun 22 12:00:47 EDT 1999

Dear Mark,

If all insects were as large and as dististictively marked as Monarchs are,
then yes there  would be less of a need to collect them. (And if pigs could
fly...) My personal preference is to watch/observe/photograph butterflies.
I think that I have a healthy interest in and knowledge of all vertebrates
and arthropods. (I have a BS in Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences from Texas
A&M and am working on a MS in Entomology from the same institution. For my
thesis I helped collect and curate ~50,000 arthropods.) So personally I
don't care what, when, how, or where you collect. Actually, I'd prefer no
one "over collects" (a bit difficult to define). Also, in Texas, we enjoy
precious little public lands so I'd prefer that flowers not be decapitated
with nets in such places.

Respectfully, Mike Quinn, Donna, TX
NABA SOTX VP