Regals in NE Kansas

Gerald Mines mines at tconl.com
Wed Jun 23 18:07:14 EDT 1999

Hello,

I haven’t seen any Regal Fritillaries (Speyeria idalia) here in eastern
Nebraska yet, but I’m keeping a watchful eye out for them.  Regal Frit's
are at the top of my list of most favorite butterflies.  Despite the
suburban and commercial development that has exploded around Omaha,
there are still a few isolated areas within the city limits where one
can find these beauties.  I've been monitoring one such area in the
hopes of finding and photographing their caterpillars.  I haven’t had
any luck finding any and I think by now it is too late in the season.
Does any know for certain if the caterpillars of S. idalia are nocturnal
feeders?

Gerald Mines
Omaha, Nebraska
http://www.tconl.com/~mines