Collecting anything and future nature interest

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Thu Jun 24 07:29:55 EDT 1999

We worry a lot (Joanna and I) about the issue that Chris Raper raised
regarding whether kids take a real interest in nature and become avid
naturalists (whether they end up as systematists dealing with micros or
thrips or tropical beetles or conservationists).  In New Jersey, a child
cannot legally pick up a toad or frog much less take it home as a "pet".

If kids' only reality is virtual reality, it doesn't hold out much hope
for developing an excitement about natural history of any kind.

At a trial where a scientist with an outdated permit was being
persecuted (sorry, that's prosecuted), the judge asked "do you mean that
if I pick up a turtle that I find in my yard, I would be violating the
law".  "That's right, judge" said the CO.

I bet you can guess the outcome of that case.

Mike Gochfeld