RFI: Caterpillar & Gympie-Gympie

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Fri Jun 25 04:14:30 EDT 1999

We encountered this plant also in our visit to Cairns. It looked
innocuous enough. I think we were given the name "Poisonwood". When I
looked into it, the active ingredient or toxin had not been
characterized.  We were told that even after the pain had resolved it
would be reactivated whenever the area of skin got wet, and this painful
sensitivity would last for months.  And it was described as a burning
pain  not an itch (probably more like Nettles than like Poison Ivy). I
wasn't told about the caterpillar which makes the story much more
interesting in the light of nettle-feeding caterpillars.

Mike Gochfeld