Collecting anything and future nature interest

Doug Yanega dyanega at pop.ucr.edu
Fri Jun 25 20:08:11 EDT 1999

>Let's not pretend that there aren't any collectors out there who don't just
>collect for their own selfish reasons.

What? Like our "friend" in China who keeps trying to sell Leuhdorfia,
Teinopalpus, and Bhutanitis??

There is a difference between someone who loves insects, and someone who
loves making money selling them (how can you beat a job where you can go
out on *public* land, hunt down some bugs, and use them to generate a nice,
tax-free income? Or better yet, pay some ignorant poverty-stricken people
to do it for you, and pay them 1/1000th or less of what you make from their
effort). Can anyone say "The Tragedy of the Commons"?

I don't see why there is such an argument here about this...I don't think
anyone on this list defends commercial exploitation of the sort described
above. Do they?

Doug Yanega       Dept. of Entomology           Entomology Research Museum
                http://insects.ucr.edu/staff/yanega.html