2/20 Southern Cal

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Tue Mar 2 10:02:09 EST 1999

Jim,

Yep, I have to agree with Wanda.  As I could not provide a positive ID
(failed to get my net out of the car), I wanted to go back again this
weekend to verify the sighting.  We saw no large, orange frit-like
butterflies (other than a few Polygonia), but did see very many Phyciodes
mylitta (which I did not see the previous week).  None of these were as
large (about half the size) as the butterflies I saw last week, but after
netting one and giving it a long, hard look, I had to confess that an
unusually large Mylitta might have been mistaken for a Boloria.

That, coupled with the fact that I did not realize the unlikelihood of the
sighting until I returned home to check my literature, leads me to believe
that it can safely be considered an error.

All of the species sighted this week (both Wanda's and my subsequent report
in San Gabriel Canyon) were id'd, save for the few that Wanda mentions in
her report.

Mark Walker.