Noctua pronuba - migration?

Mothman617 mothman617 at aol.com
Tue Mar 9 19:03:07 EST 1999

I do not know of Noctua pronuba habits in the UK. However here in the
northeastern United states there has been o population explosion of this
introduced species. I have not heard of this moth as a pest as of yet. I would
like to know their larval foodplants in their native Europe. I would like to
monitor this species if it does become a pest. I do suspect it must feed upon a
variety of herbaceous plants and or grasses. I live in Massachusetts and I
captured my first N. pronuba in September of 1992. Scince then I have seen
multitudes of them in their adult stage from April to October.
-Matthew Arey