Noctua pronuba - migration?

Martin Honey M.Honey at nhm.ac.uk
Tue Mar 9 08:50:19 EST 1999

Just in case it is of interest to others, here's a copy of my response to
the original pronuba request:

>At 02:07 PM 3/8/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>Can someone tell me whether Noctua pronuba (Large yellow underwing) is a
>>migratory species and if so, where I can find a reference to this behavior.
>>Thanks.

Certainly here in Britain it is assumed to be migratory, at times. The most
recent paper I know of to speculate on this is :

Howard, R.A. 1999. Possible migration of Noctua pronuba (L.) (Lepidoptera:
Noctuidae) at the Lizard Point, Cornwall. Entomologist's Gazette 50: 33-38.

It gives details of between 8-10,000 specimens of pronuba in one light-trap
plus the sea in the area being "littered" with corpses.

Martin
Martin R. Honey CBiol MIBiol, Linnaean Butterfly Project
Biodiversity Division, Department of Entomology
The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road
London, SW7 5BD, Great Britain
TELEPHONE: 0171 938 8735     International: 44 171 938 8735
FAX:       0171 938 8937     International: 44 171 938 8937
EMAIL:     M.Honey at nhm.ac.uk