butterflies, clouds, and wind

DR. JAMES ADAMS jadams at Carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Wed Mar 10 19:37:02 EST 1999

Dear listers,

          Excuse me if someone has already posted with similar
information.

           The one observation I would like to add to this discussion
is the effect of cloud cover on flight of butterflies at high
elevation.  I have been at or above treeline on several occasions in
Colorado, enjoying watching flights of Parnassius, Colias meadi,
several alpine satyrs, etc.  One of the most striking behaviors I
have ever seen in butterflies in general is the almost immediate
response to cloud cover -- namely, dropping to the ground.  I have
seen Parnassius phoebus (smintheus?) drop literally the second the
sun becomes obscured.  Even more impressive is their ability to
"disappear".   I have more than once been nearly on top of a flying
Parnassius when it has dropped to the ground as the sun goes behind a
cloud.  I've dropped to the ground just seconds behind and be unable
to find the butterfly in all but one occasion, even after seeing
precisely where it went down.  I grant you, that most of the time
this has happened the terrain has been a bit uneven and rocky, but
they are able to pull this "disappearing" stunt even in open alpine
meadows.

                   James

Dr. James K. Adams
Dept. of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College
213 N. College Drive
Dalton, GA  30720
Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
U of Michigan's President James Angell's
  Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"