butterflies, clouds, and wind

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sat Mar 13 21:19:12 EST 1999

ON sunny days the ground temperature is indeed warmer than the air
temperature, but there is only a narrow band of this warmer microclimate
(often less than 15 cm), which results from sunshine reflected off the
ground surface.  It cools very quickly when a cloud passes, casting a
shadow.  It also varies depending on a lot of factors (air temperature,
angle of sun, nature of substrate, nature of ground cover etc).

I used to make a lot of these measurements when I was studying the
thermoregulatory behavior of ground-nesting birds.

Mike Gochfeld