Arctiidae plates

Joe Kunkel joe at bio.umass.edu
Wed Mar 17 06:50:35 EST 1999

Pierre,

Very nice progress on your Lep Catalogue of the Antilles.  I like your
clickable visual map of plates in adjustable sizes.

We are making some grudging progress on the World Noctuid
plate/figure/image database, URL:

http://marlin.bio.umass.edu/biology/kunkel/poster/amherst/

Our intion is to provide access to as many of the classic images of
Noctuids as well as the text of their original descriptions.  So far we
have bits and pieces such as the plates and _Catocala_ text of Strecker,
and Barnes & McDunnough plates and figures  and Hampson plates as well
as _Catocala_ figures and Vermes _Catocala_ slides arrayed in an
HTML/frames _ad hoc_ format.  Now we are creating a database structure
in which we hope to access them all in a unified way.  We have created
that framework around the Hampson noctuid plates and now have to cut
them into individual figures as we have for the _Catocala_.

You can view the 'Unified Database Project' at URL:

http://informatics.bio.umass.edu/research/

We are providing access to it in this unfinished state to invite critics
to suggest changes.

Joe

Pierre Zagatti wrote:

> Dear leppers,
>
> I just tried a new way to identify species in the Catalogue of
> Lepidoptera of the Antilles.
> Now you can access plates (with different sizes varying with your screen
> resolution),
> and by directly clicking on the plates you have access to the species
> pages.
>
> The most recent browsers (Netscape 4.5 but not my release of Internet
> Explorer)
> shows the name of species following your mouse !
>
> I realize that the links to species do not work with _ancient_ browsers
> (I tried Mosaic 2.0)
> but things must evolve.
>
> I made this for the Arctiidae only:
>
> http://www.jouy.inra.fr/papillon/arctiid/texteng/arctiide.htm
>
> Try it and let me know if you have some problems with it.
>
> --
> Pierre ZAGATTI
> INRA Unite de Phytopharmacie et Mediateurs Chimiques
> 78026 Versailles Cedex
> FRANCE
> Tel: (33) 1 30 83 31 18
> e-mail zagatti at versailles.inra.fr