Checkerspot-E. San Diego Co.

Niklas Wahlberg niklas.wahlberg at Helsinki.FI
Thu Mar 18 01:16:43 EST 1999

Hi all,
   Just to make things a bit more confusing: in my cladistic analysis of
checkerspot DNA sequences, Thessalia comes out in the middle of Chlosyne
and so should be lowered to subgeneric rank, unless you want to create a
new genus for the Central American Chlosyne... You can see a phylogeny of
the checkerspots at http://www.helsinki.fi/science/metapop/phylogeny.html

Cheers,
Niklas

At 16:10 17.3.1999 -0900, Kenelm Philip wrote:

>>        And of course to confuse things further, I'll throw in the fact
>>     that the NABA checklist uses Thessalia as the genus name for the
>>     Leanira Checkerspot.
>
>	The NABA list is hardly unique in that respect. Both the Hodges
>checklist (MONA) and the Miller/Brown catalogue use _Thessalia_ for this
>subgroup of _Chlosyne_ and raise it to generic rank. So this usage has
>been stable for some 16 years, at least...
>
>							Ken Philip
>fnkwp at uaf.edu

   Niklas Wahlberg
   Department of Ecology and Systematics