Checkerspot-E. San Diego Co.

Doug Yanega dyanega at pop.ucr.edu
Thu Mar 18 12:29:59 EST 1999

Neil Jones wrote:

>It is a gorgeous creature and I sincerely hope that you will succed in
>your efforts to conserve it. This thing of beauty should remain a joy for ever.

Sadly, the general public opinion here seems to be negative, overall. The
listing of insects, even pretty ones, sends even some avid conservation
supporters into fits, and California has a LOT of things on their lists,
making it increasingly harder for the real estate developers. The fact that
the Quino and related listed subspecies happen to occur on land that is
prime turf for people who want to have a house and commute to LA, etc.,
makes this particular case increasingly contentious. Don't forget, this is
the same area where the Delhi Sands Flower-loving Fly is listed, and that
turned out to be a public relations nightmare, too - people around here
*already* have a low opinion of endangered species listings. The Quino is a
recent listing, and the effects are evidently just now coming fully into
public awareness. There was a piece on the local evening news a week or two
ago where the developers got all their shots in, and the only comment from
a biologist, when asked why the Quino should be saved, was "Because some
things are worth saving." Not a very persuasive take-home message, and I
doubt the conservation cause won any converts from that broadcast. If the
conservation cause is perceived to be nothing more than naive, emotional,
and obstructionist, it's probably only a matter of time before the backlash
undoes much of what we've worked for.
        Not trying to start another depressing thread, just making some
observations prompted by this particular case.

Peace,

Doug Yanega       Dept. of Entomology           Entomology Research Museum
phone: (909) 787-4315
                  http://www.icb.ufmg.br/~dyanega/