Quino checkerspot butterfly

wanda be496 at lafn.org
Mon Mar 22 12:42:21 EST 1999

It would be interesting to see the # of parcels actually being held up
from development on the Fish & Wildlife Service Map.  Though the article
tends to give one the impression, certainly not all development in So.
Cal. is being held up!!!

I visited the Murrieta Hot Springs site in Riverside Friday.   Didn't
find the BF but understand they are in the area--perhaps yet too cool
that a.m.(9:30-10:30 am)   Directly across the street was an enormous
development in process!!!

Wanda Dameron
Flutterby Press
Los Angeles, Calif.

fred_heath at power-one.com wrote:

> To answer Neil Jone's earlier question, this article says that all
> pending development from San Diego to Ventura County (just north and
> east of L.A.) needs to show that there are no Quino Checkerspots on
> the land before development can proceed. Although a number of    survey's were done last year in reasonable habitat (many came up negative except in a few places in Riverside and San Diego counties).  I almost feel sorry for the developers because any surveys done
>this year (a relative drought year with few of any species flying) may
>not be acceptable even if no evidence is found of the butterflies
>presence.

The article mentions (and I can not vouch for the accuracy of this
article or even, for that matter, my interpretation of the material
presented) that Rudi Mattoni feels that the focus should be on
protecting and enhancing habitat which we know is prime for the
butterfly (either because butterflies have been noted there or there
is much of the foodplant (a plantain)) and not tying up every
development in S.Calif. At first this sounds maybe a touch
pro-development, but understand that the backlash from an unreasonable
holding up of all development might be far worse in the long run.