Quino checkerspot butterfly

fred_heath at power-one.com fred_heath at power-one.com
Mon Mar 22 13:15:40 EST 1999

        To answer Neil Jone's earlier question, this article says that all
     pending development from San Diego to Ventura County (just north and
     east of L.A.) needs to show that there are no Quino Checkerspots on
     the land before development can proceed. Although a number of survey's
     were done last year in reasonable habitat (many came up negative
     except in a few places in Riverside and San Diego counties).
        I almost feel sorry for the developers because any surveys done
     this year (a relative drought year with few of any species flying) may
     not be acceptable even if no evidence is found of the butterflies
     presence.
        The article mentions (and I can not vouch for the accuracy of this
     article or even, for that matter, my interpretation of the material
     presented) that Rudi Mattoni feels that the focus should be on
     protecting and enhancing habitat which we know is prime for the
     butterfly (either because butterflies have been noted there or there
     is much of the foodplant (a plantain)) and not tying up every
     development in S.Calif. At first this sounds maybe a touch
     pro-development, but understand that the backlash from an unreasonable
     holding up of all development might be far worse in the long run.

                                                           ----Fred