Osmeterium?

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Wed Mar 24 05:36:02 EST 1999

The part that fascinates me is the resemblance to a snake, complete with
"tongue" and musky smell.
I was bopped by a black swallowtail larva the other day, having poked it
to demonstrate the osmeteria ... I suppose some bug-eaters find the odor
distasteful, and surely it portends a disagreeable flavor.
As for the wigglies on the monarch, anything that looks like stingers is
likely to afford some protection. Looking toxic is probably more
important than being toxic ... even being tasted is pretty bad for your
health.
Cheers
Anne Kilmer
South Florida