Zebra Swallowtail Status?

Rev Chuck cdub at -REMOVE_THIS-erols.com
Fri Mar 26 05:11:55 EST 1999

Rick Mikula wrote:

> Rev Chuck wrote:
> >
> > Population status for zebra swallowtail in Maryland?  _Extremely_
> > stunning creature; I recall seeing two or three in Havre de Grace,
> > MD, back around 1973.
>
> They are usually in good numbers in Elk Necks State Park and best near
> Turkey Point. Because of the Pawpaw stiuation along the bay they can still
> be found easily. It does seem that populations are far better near Washington
> DC. I did receive a call from one concern that wanted to thin the population
> out. Lets review. Too many butterflies, isn't that like winning the lottery
> and saying that the money is too green?!?!?!?
>
> Rick Mikula

This species is the only native that can put the tiger swallowtail to
shame.  And they have too _many_?  They should be using the creatures
to attract tourists.

Would it be wise to expand their breeding range beyond the wetlands,
assuming pawpaw can be made to grow elsewhere?

--
Nothing says you're insane like prayer.
Rev Chuck, Alt.Atheism #203, Ordained Reverend, ULC, 17 March, 1997.