A small black moth ? UK

Roger C. KENDRICK kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
Mon Mar 29 07:30:23 EST 1999

Well, I'd have to agree, Diurnea fagella is a possibility, although I don't recall
seeing by day before (but regularly recorded the males at light - females have very
reduced wings and I rarely saw any to light). This species (light form) is also
illustrated in Chinery. The males are well known to exhibit melanistic forms; which
appear almost as 'negatives' of the normal colouration.
I guess three years away from UK recording has made my species recognition a little
rusty!

regards,

Roger.

--
Roger C. KENDRICK
  Demonstrator / Ph.D. Student
  mailto:kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk

mailing address:
  Kadoorie Agricultural Research Centre, The University of Hong Kong
  Lam Kam Road, Shek Kong, Yuen Long, New Territories, HONG KONG

Hong Kong Moths website coordinator
  http://web.hku.hk/~kendrick/hkmoth.htm

HK Lepidoptera Group webmaster (English version)
  http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/1085/