A small black moth ? UK

Donald Hobern dhobern at hursley.ibm.com
Mon Mar 29 06:27:08 EST 1999

I think that the description of the legs rules out the Eriocraniids.
Perhaps the most likely match would be Diurnea fagella, a member of
the family Oecophoridae, which is quite common at this time of year.

It is rather variable in ground colour.  Last year I caught several
that were almost black.  Certainly it exhibits yellowish chevrons on
the fore wings much as described.  The legs are exactly as described.
It comes readily to light.  If the wings extended beyond the end of
the abdomen it would have been a male.  If they reached more or less
to the end of the abdomen it would have been a female.  The texture of
the forewings is very dusty, as descibed.

An illustration of the moth is most easily found in the 'Field Guide In
Colour to Butterflies and Moths' by Ivo Novak (published by Blitz),
which has been on sale in many of the remainder bookshops at least down
here in Hampshire.  I have seen photographs in other general books on
insects.  Most such illustrations show a more typical tawny-grey ground
colour but the range is great.  I have a colour drawing I made last year
of a male that perfectly fits the desciption.

Donald

--

Donald Hobern : CB Development, MP 189, Hursley Park, Winchester,
England
E-MAIL        : dhobern at hursley.ibm.com
TELEPHONE     : +44 1962 815301