A small black moth ? UK

Roger C. KENDRICK kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
Fri Mar 26 15:47:21 EST 1999

Hi Ian,

If you have any birch trees nearby, I'd be tempted to say you have seen one of
the several species of Eriocrania moths that occur in spring sunshine. They're
all pretty small, about a 10mm wingspan when set. At rest, they hold their wings
very steeply tented (tectiform). Under a handlens, the basic ground colour is
usually a metallic dark purple, with a spattering of yellow or golden scales. The
species are quite difficult to tell apart. There are several books to view,
Chinery's Insects of Britian and Western Europe illustrates one species in its
natural resting posture and the Moths and Butterflies of Great Britain and
Ireland gives much greater detail about all the species that occur in Britain,
but the illustrations in the volume (either 1 or 2) are rather poor and don't do
the colours justice.
E. sparmanella (which occurs in Britain) is illustrated at
http://mpi-seewiesen.mpg.de/~kaisslin/pheronet/ins/eriocsparr.html

Hope this helps,

Roger.

--
Roger C. KENDRICK
  Demonstrator / Ph.D. Student
  mailto:kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk

mailing address:
  Kadoorie Agricultural Research Centre, The University of Hong Kong
  Lam Kam Road, Shek Kong, Yuen Long, New Territories, HONG KONG

Hong Kong Moths website coordinator
  http://web.hku.hk/~kendrick/hkmoth.htm

HK Lepidoptera Group webmaster (English version)
  http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/1085/