NABA 4JC

Rick Mikula butrfly at epix.net
Wed Mar 31 09:11:54 EST 1999

Michael Gochfeld wrote:

> The NABA 4th of July counts are patterned for better or worse on the
> Audubons Society Christmas bird counts, hence the 15 mile diameter
> circles. ......
>There are also, breeding bird census routes which were
>scientifically designed to  sample bird populations in a repeatable fashion,
> but these too have their limitations.

	Having studied Ornithology at Cornell I was well involved with
these counts and census. I remember standing on at the stern of a boat
out over the Hudson Canyon as the "old timers" in the pre-dawn hours would
identify pelagic birds merely by the sounds of their wing beats. They could
have been 100% wrong, who knew? But boy it was fun.

On other occassions I drew many odd stares from fishermen as they watched
me extend my fishing pole with a mirror fixed to the end to check on my
nests. However this thread seems to be slipping towards a Releasers vs naba
and that was not the original intent of my posting. Thats a whole different
kettle of yellow throated warblers.

Rick Mikula