NABA 4JC

Ernest Williams ewilliam at hamilton.edu
Wed Mar 31 16:58:02 EST 1999

I agree with everything that Michael Gochfeld says below.  I'll just add
(or emphasize) these points:

1.  The volume of data overcomes some limitations in the quality of the
data.  A student of mine and I have done some analyses that support this
point (in prep.), a point that has been supported for Christmas count bird
data.
2.  The counts provide observations that could not be collected in any
other way and thus are *potentially* useful.
3.  The count procedure is one of many possible designs that let one gather
data from a single area for annual comparisons.  I've conducted 2 such
counts for a number of years, and I conduct them the same way each year, so
the comparisons over time tell me things about the dynamics of the local
lep communities.  This is independent of comparisons to anyone else's count
results.
4.  *Important point*  The butterfly count data are useful for answering a
limited range of questions but not for many, many other questions.  It all
depends on what the questions are.

Ernest Williams