A second answer on NABA 4JC

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Wed Mar 31 03:20:35 EST 1999

have to revolve around the 4JC (or anything else for that matter,
except perhaps, the sun).  Ornithology does not revolve around Christmas
Bird counts.

Indeed, it is my recommendation that the best census data would come
from weekly censusing of one or more selected parcels throughout the
season, thereby capturing the unique phenologic sequences of butterfly
populations, which the 4JC inevitably miss.  Moreover, if we are
preserving habitats such as parks, forests, or gardens, we should be
using these as repeated census units, rather than the arbitrary 15 mile
circles, which may have made sense for birds, but not for butterflies.

The scientific value of the 4JC like in their widespread distribution,
repeated timing, and in some cases 20+ years of data.

M. Gochfeld