Monstrosity vs. cleaner butterfly wings

Charles Gavette timbukt2 at excite.com
Wed Mar 31 19:22:28 EST 1999

  Prayer to whom or what? The thread of experimental geometry was cut while
Archimedes 'meditated' in the sand....god is also a noise in the street. To
this I oppose (at the very least) something like Paracelsus' Anti-trinity of
Drives. It is an alchemy that makes one hell of a lot more sense than
falling into line with something like chrisitanity, whose sanctions have
degraded human thought since the first millenium onward. It was and is the
alchemists who have answered the call. It also answers the physicists'
conundrum of the three quarks: up, down, and strange.

  Mark, you came very close in the allusion to fruit-of-the-loom underwear.
It comes dangerously close to the use of that favorite neolithic priestly
invention , resentment. I thank the cosmos for 23 years of non-wedded
heterosexual bliss, and at the same time, while not having gotten myself
caught within the other trap of a homoerotic frenzy, I am quite capable of
seeing how resentment works.

  More interestingly, with the fossil fuel model we have the vision of
perversity gone subversive. If it is true that perversity is an event of
surfaces (the massage, driving a car), then all of this scurrying across the
surface of the planet was at the beginning, only children experimenting with
new toys. But it turns itself into subeversion, when the toys become a
necessity of life and begin to kill what it was supposed to support.
Whacked. Fossil fuel has feminized the earth, made it softer, more
accesible, to the point where we feel threatened to even let the thought of
taking the bus cross our mind. But there's something nice about getting on
the bus and knowing things that others don't. A psychic swamp, populated by
the integration of machines that further feminize. Crouched like a frog,
ego-tripping in my new shiny fossil-fuel burner, "I am sure that I can
conquer this beast." See the cartoon in an early Mother Earth News: The girl
is setting in traffic with her new low. sleek and racy car, while we see in
the distance the city that she must get to to help make the paynments on it.
The billboard along this road has an advertisement for the same car that she
is driving, the caption reads..."Are You Man Enough?" This overcoding
towards femininity, this slouch toward Gomorrah, is opposed to the masculine
that husbands the earth, the intergration of anima/animus in both genders.

  Fossil-fuel consumption also has its negative masculine, its patriarchal
side that creates deserts by thinking that it is subduing nature. And the
sad fact is that it is succeeding, paradoxically by feminizing the masculine
nature in man, killing creativity and the very environment that supports all
of us.

   "America is feminized. It is a maniac without balls." (Henry Miller,
Tropic of Cancer)