search for a lepper

Stonflower at aol.com Stonflower at aol.com
Tue May 18 18:45:36 EDT 1999

Looking for entomologist with specialty in butterflies.

I have spent some time in Myanmar (formerly Burma) and made friends among a
variety of people (from forest ranger to biology professor at Yangon Univ.).
A friend has requested my help in finding an expert on butterflies to help
identify species in a specific area of Myanmar, to help with the design of a
"butterfly house," and to collect species to stock the house and for breeding.

When the request was made of me, not much information was provided. I have
sent an inquiry asking where the lepper would be lodged, if transportation
would be paid, if equipment would be provided, if meals are provided,
compensation, duration of time needed, if all government permits will be
obtained, etc.  I expect a response within a week.

Myanmar is a primitive country by our standards, but it is a beautiful place
with western-style accommodations in the area where this study is to take
place. While the government is restrictive, the people are friendly and
hospitable.

This is an excellent opportunity for a PhD candidate who may have an interest
in doing his/her dissertation on butterflies of Myanmar, a graduate student
who is working on his/her thesis, professor who may be interested in a
sabbatical, or any Lepidoptera expert. To my knowledge, there has been no
previous research done on the butterflies of Myanmar.

Anyone interested, please e-mail me at stonflower at aol.com. Brenda
Davidson-Shaddox