Monarchs and Corn Pollen

Jim Mouw jmouw at po-1.iowa-falls.k12.ia.us
Fri May 21 14:09:51 EDT 1999

I have been reading the Leps-L for a couple years and have refrained from
posting until now.  I have found the messages over the years to be both
informative and entertaining.  Just checking to see who is posting
usually gives me a pretty good idea of what to expect.  I have come to
expect and respect the common sense responses from some of you
"regulars".  Paul Cherubini is certainly one I have come to value for
his logical common sense approach as opposed to the scare tactics and
emotional outbursts employed by others.
I live here in the middle of Iowa in the middle of the corn belt.  I have
worked in the corn fields during the summers and have a pretty good idea
of how the pollen spreads.  I can tell you that Paul's mathematical
model makes a lot of sense.  I have watched crop dusting planes spray
corn fields with insecticides for corn borers and can tell you that the
drift from the spray goes a lot farther than the pollen. So, as others
have already noted , we need more evidence and solid scientific facts
before we blurt out to the world that "the sky is falling, the sky is
falling". I suspect that we will find that this genetically altered corn
will be less harmful to non target species than the older method of
aerial spraying.
By the way, when the corn is tasseling and pollen is produced during the
middle of July,it is traditionally quite hot and winds are calm.  The
pollen just does not blow very far.
Cheers,
Jim Mouw