Does Bt pollen spread?

Paul Cherubini paulcher at concentric.net
Thu May 27 04:14:29 EDT 1999

SueJensen wrote:

> Excuse me??  'Round-up Ready' soy and rapeseed don't sound to me like
> products designed to reduce conventional pesticide use.

You're right, Roudup herbicide use within the corn (and other) crops is
likely to go up.
But Roundup herbicide is not a bug killer and does not poison the soil
or water.

> If you work in this area, Paul, why don't you go for a career change?

Well I may have to because these genetically modified crops will result
in big reductions in the use of conventional insecticides I sell. Maybe
God might spare me a few hundred years in hell if I changed careers and
did something good for bugs instead of killing them. Like raise
butterflies for a living. But wait!  How many people on this list think
its OK to raise and release common butterflies like monarchs and painted
ladies for a living?

Maybe if I just went and got a decent government job, wrote butterfly
books, became an environmental defense lawyer or went around begging for
grants to make a living I would somehow be environmentally "pure" in
everyones eyes?

Paul Cherubini, Placerville, California