Del Rio, TX - May 21

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Thu May 27 13:28:39 EDT 1999

On my way back to California last week (even though I'm back in Texas at the
moment), I couldn't resist stopping again in Del Rio, TX.  Similar
conditions (a little rain and much cloud cover) with plenty of butterflies.
I only bother to post again just to mention the appearance of a few new
species.  I've listed the repeats only because I know there is someone out
there who would like to know what might be currently flying...  You are out
there, aren't you?

Pontia protodice (Checkered White)*
Colias cesonia (Southern Dogface)
Nathalis iole (Dainty Sulpher)
Kricogonia lyside (Lyside Sulpher)
Eurema lisa (Little Yellow)
Eurema daira (Barred Yellow) *
Phoebis agarithe (Large Orange Sulpher) *
Battus philenor (Pipevine Swallowtail)
Papilio cresphontes (Giant Swallowtail)
Strymon melinus (Gray Hairstreak)
Leptotes marina (Marine Blue)
Hemiargus isola (Reakirt's Blue)
Calephelis nemesis (Fatal Metalmark)
Agraulis vanillae (Gulf Fritillary)
Euptoieta claudia (Variegated Fritillary)
Dymasia dymas chara (Chara Checkerspot) *
Thessalia theona (Theona Checkerspot)
Phyciodes texana (Texas Crescentspot)
Phyciodes vesta (Vesta Crescentspot)
Vanessa atalanta (Red Admiral)
Danaus gilippus (Queen)*
Pyrgus communis (Common Checkered Skipper)
Celotes nessus (Common Streaky Skipper)
Systasea pulverulenta (Texas Powdered Skipper)
and a few other assorted Hesperiidae

* didn't see these the week before

Enjoy.

Mark Walker