Birds, net length

DR. JAMES ADAMS jadams at Carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Fri May 28 13:31:27 EDT 1999

Anne Kilmer wrote:

> So do birds; I had a pileated woodpecker once who deliberately stayed
> too close for my long lens; just too far away for my close lens, moving
> back and forth five feet to taunt and frustrate me. He was a park
> woodpecker, who had obviously had lots of practice.

Sounds familiar.

  How many bird photographers have had *this* experience?  You get
the bird in focus and you'd swear it filled up at least half the
field of view, you get the slide back, and you find out that the bird
is just a small speck in the middle of the picture/slide?  Birds are
worst than butterflies for this; I think it is part of the tunnel
vision phenomenon.

         As for net lengths, I use a converted fish net; large
diameter, light weight aluminum handle.  Very effective and easy to
swing for a large net.  I started with this at a young age, which
makes it very easy for me to swing now.  I think our preferences are
largely due to what we grow up with.

            James

Dr. James K. Adams
Dept. of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College
213 N. College Drive
Dalton, GA  30720
Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
U of Michigan's President James Angell's
  Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"