Butterfly Questions

Neil Jones Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sun May 30 17:12:24 EDT 1999

In article <01bea5cd$c93f4c40$28e11ac3 at e5q5n1>
           venters at iinteralpha.co.uk "Nigel Venters" writes:

I have very little time to answer this posting. I believe that it
is a smear that many dedicated people both professionals and volunteers
inside Butterfly Conservation will find offensive.
If my comments seem blunt this is because of the brevity necessitated
by haste. I am too busy doing all th things that Nigel Venters says I don't
do!
My comments are made on my own behalf and are not to be taken as policy of
any organisation. I am however in a good position to know what the truth
is. I have been involved in Butterfly Conservation for many years (when
I joined it wasn't even called that! )

> It's a funny old world isn't it....to collect or not collect that is the
> question?  In UK (rightly or wrongly) many breeders of butterflies consider
> to get Butterfly Conservation involved in anything is the kiss of death....
> Butterfly
> Conservation have watched merrily over the years as things become extinct,
> worried and pontificated about who or what was responsible, or what went
> wrong, advised Government that any captive breeding is totally wrong,

Where is your evidence that Butterfly Conservation have so advised the
government? I you have none your should withdraw your allegations.

 and
> of course nothing happened. Money is raised, sites of interest are
> purchased, field trips are organised and the faithful trample over sites of
> interest to observe and do little else.....except worry about the gradual
> decline.

This is incorrect.
Just a few things:

The largest ever survey of British butterflies which has just received
its one millionth record.
The production of a large number of species action plans and regional
action plans which are being put in to practice, by local athorities
in their development plans.

> Maybe they have a hidden agenda... the complete extinction of all
> species?

ROFL!!!

  if they get their way....the complete protection of all
> species....

Where is your evidence. If you have none you should withdraw your allegation.
I have NEVER heard anyone in Butterfly Conservation say that they wanted it.

> this would have the result of the gradual loss of interest in
> butterflies by the general population... years will pass when the young
> will no longer have an interest in them... no collecting as a young child
> followed by deep interest in protection as an adult...illegal, banned!

This is incorrect. It is unnecessary to be a collector as a child to
develop a deep interest in protection. I am living proof of this.
I am by no means unique.

<more prejudiced ranting snipped>

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog